The Filipino Chamber of Commerce of Hawaii Foundation in partnership with Eddie and Elaine Flores, are seeking applicants for The Eddie and Elaine Flores & FCCHF Scholarship at Chaminade University of Honolulu. The amount of scholarship monies available totals to $5,000 and only applies to students attending Chaminade University of Honolulu. The deadline to apply is March 1, 2017.
Established in 2017 by Eddie and Elaine Flores in partnership with the Filipino Chamber of Commerce of Hawaii Foundation (FCCHF), this scholarship was created to benefit full-time undergraduate students at Chaminade University who demonstrate a commitment to serving and making a positive difference in the greater community through their service. Mr. and Mrs. Flores are long-time supporters of Chaminade University and Mr. Flores is a member of the Board of Governors. Previously he served on the Board of Regents.
Eddie Flores, Jr. is the president and CEO of L & L Drive-Inn and Hawaiian Barbecue restaurants. A tireless entrepreneur, Mr. Flores has won numerous awards including: Small Businessperson of the Year (1998), Entrepreneur of the Year from the Filipino Chamber of Commerce (1998), Sales Person of the Year from the Sales & Marketing Executives International (2006), and the National Restaurant Association’s Faces of Diversity American Dream award (2008). He was a member of East-West Center’s Board of Governors, Hawai`i Goodwill Industries’ Board of Directors, the Filipino Community Center, the Chinese Chamber of Commerce and Mid-Pacific Institute. He and his wife have been generous community supporters in Hawai`i, giving the greatest gifts of all, the gift of knowledge. Similarly, the FCCHF - as an arm of the Filipino Chamber of Commerce of Hawaii (FCCH) - serves to implement educational support in Hawaii’s communities, to include the awarding of annual scholarships to college-bound students.
The FCCH provides leadership in promoting Hawaii’s business community through its many business and community-focused activities. The FCCH also seeks to broaden opportunities for Filipino entrepreneurs and member businesses, strengthen business links between Hawaii and the Philippines, assist in the professional growth of its members, and support community well-being.
Applicants must complete the Chaminade University Scholarship Application form available in the Financial Aid Office, online, or through the offices of the Filipino Chamber of Commerce of Hawai`i, and submit their application with accompanying documents before the relevant deadlines.
- Be enrolled full-time in the undergraduate program at Chaminade University;
- Have demonstrated academic achievement with a GPA of at least 2.50;
- Have demonstrated financial need; and
- Have demonstrated a commitment to community service.
Preference will be given to students who:
- Reside in the area from Waipahu to the Leeward Coast; or
- Attended McKinley, Farrington, Radford, Moanalua, Campbell, Kapolei, Pearl City, Waipahu, Nanakuli, or Waianae high schools.
- Submit two letters of recommendation with the scholarship application: one letter must be from a current instructor and another from an employer, counselor, advisor or clergy. Letters should address the student’s academic performance and character.
- Submit a letter of application detailing your personal goals and attributes, relevant extra-curricular interests and activities, particularly community volunteering.
- Award amount will be made to a maximum of five students for the academic year.
The deadline to submit applications and necessary documents to the Financial Aid Office is March 1 to be considered for fall awards. This date is the priority deadline. Recipients will be selected by a committee comprised of faculty and staff representing various departments of the University.